I’m Daughter of Maat, the owner of Blue Dasher Crafts.
My real name is Melissa, and I’m a 38 year old wife and mom to a ten year old little girl. I’ve spent 21 years as an ophthalmic technician, and I absolutely love all things medical.
I became a freelance writer in late 2011 to earn a bit of extra money, and shortly after I signed up for Hubpages, I wrote and published my first article in January of 2012. Between January and July, I started blogging and actually started three of my own blogs including:
- Vegan Harvest which is about our life as a vegan family, and the trials and tribulations of dealing with a child who doesn’t necessarily want to be vegan.
- Karmic Education which is about our homeschooling program and how we teach our daughter about our pagan beliefs.
- Kinect Weight Loss which details my weight loss journey and how I lost 70lbs using the Xbox 360 Kinect.
Blue Dasher Crafts was a natural progression. I had started crocheting in my early 20’s shortly after a car accident. A friend of mine showed me the basic stitches, and I taught myself the rest. It’s a very relaxing hobby, and I love watching the project take shape.
While crochet is my favorite hobby, I also love to make jewelry, which is a recent development. I started making earrings about eight years ago and have been hooked on creating earring pairs that are as individual as the person who wears them.
This little shop has been a dream of mine for several years. In fact, I started it back in 2013 on Etsy, but never did anything with it until now. I had two reasons for opening my little shop:
- I want to be my own boss and actually enjoy what I do for a living. I love making things with my hands.
- I wanted to make products that would benefit both the people buying them and mother nature. Our society is has been consumed by the constant need to own stuff, and the planet is paying a price. This is my way of giving back to the planet – making things that are reusable and cruelty free.
One day, I hope this little shop will allow me the freedom to be a stay at home mom so that I can spend more time homeschooling our daughter and spending time with family.
Blue Dasher Crafts is a family-owned business. Only two people create the products in the shop: myself and my good friend Melina who came up with the scarf and hat sets we offer. My daughter Sam and my loving husband Greg help with modeling!
Where did we get the shop name? I’m obsessed with dragonflies, and the Blue Dasher has the most beautiful cyan eyes I’ve ever seen. So I named the shop after my favorite dragonfly.