I’m not just the owner of Blue Dasher Crafts, I’m a real person too! There’s a lot more to me than just the business, so this post is all about me. Here are 12 things you probably don’t know about me.
12 Things You Don’t Know About Me
1) I tend to be a rather eccentric individual. I’m more of an introverted loner than an extrovert people person. Although I’m good with people, and can get along with just about anyone, I’m much prefer the solitude of my own home and family. I could very easily become a recluse if I didn’t have to work outside the home or run errands like grocery shopping etc.
2) I love crafting, especially crochet, cross stitch, jewelry making and scrapbooking. Unfortunately, I haven’t scrapped in a couple of years, mainly because I haven’t had the time or the money, so I’m a bit behind. Cross stitch and crochet are my two favorite crafts. I find them very relaxing, and I love watching a piece take shape as I crochet away!
3) I love the eyeball. You probably know this one too because I spent so many years in ophthalmology. But you may not know that the first thing I’ll notice about someone is whether or not they have a muscle deviation (if their eyes are crossed), or any other ocular abnormality. Whenever I look at someone’s eyes, my brain automatically goes into observation mode and I notice things like the “hills and valleys” in their iris muscles, their pupil size, the lenses in their glasses which can tell me if they’re nearsighted or farsighted. It’s an occupational hazard I guess. Oh, and I’m a sucker for blue eyes. Yes, my husband has blue eyes.
4) I suffer from chronic pain and migraines due to a neck injury I received in a car accident in 1999. The police said I was lucky to be alive because I T-boned a car going 60 miles an hour. However, the accident wasn’t my fault. The person I hit made a left hand turn on a red arrow and for some reason, he stopped dead in the middle of the road. Had he kept going, the accident never would have happened. That accident totaled my car, which was a gift from my parents, and is the reason I now have my Nissan Sentra.
5) You couldn’t pay me to get rid of my Sentra. I absolutely adore my car, even though it’s 19 years old. In March, I will have owned the car for 16 years. I didn’t even test drive the car before I picked it out. I saw it from across the parking lot. It was the only green car amidst a sea of white and black. I walked over to it, sat in the driver’s seat and said “This one.” About 24 hours later, the car was mine and I’ve had it ever since. There was a period where it didn’t run for about 1 year, but that was only because I didn’t have the funds to get it fixed. But I held onto it!! Now it’s the work horse of the family. It has never let me down, or left me completely stranded. I have had a few issues with it, for example, I’ve been late to work because I had to add oil, but aside from that, it’s an amazing vehicle. I wouldn’t give it up for any amount of money.
6) I lost 70 pounds three years ago using only the Xbox 360 Kinect, and I started a blog about the experience. Unfortunately, after my dogs died, I gained much of the weight back and stopped exercising. But recently, I’ve been trying to get back on track and have lost a total of 51 lbs. I’ve also lowered my blood pressure considerably and gotten off my medication.
7) I’m a neat freak. You’d never know it if you saw my house, but the clutter drives me insane. I’m really bad about dishes in the sink too. If I see them starting to pile up, I have to wash them. A dirty kitchen is a huge pet peeve of mine. When Greg was working, our home was actually quite clean, but unfortunately, since he’s been home, I’ve had so much work to do that cleaning has taken a back seat and it’s really eating at me.
8) I absolutely adore dragons. I have dragon figurines all over my home. I think they are the most majestic creatures, and yes, I think at one time during the dinosaur era, they were real, and no I don’t think I’m crazy. Well, maybe a little, but that just makes me interesting right?
9) I love to read and learn new things, especially things that pertain to medicine. I’m always trying to discover new ideas and learn about the newest medical research. I also love Dystopian Fiction. I have over 1,000 books on my Kindle Fire, and I’m really making an effort to read more this year.
10) I’m a misanthrope. Miriam Webster defines a misanthrope as someone who hates or distrusts mankind. Hate is a strong word, I lean more toward the dislike and definitely distrust. After seeing how we treat animals and the environment, I just don’t see how humanity is a benefit to the earth.
11) Although I’m not a big fan of TV, I do like my medical shows: Bones and House M.D. are my favorites and I was devastated when House M.D ended. I love the educational shows and if you watch enough Bones you learn a thing or two about anatomy among other things.
12) I’m a gamer. My husband and I met on Xbox Live about 11 years ago and have been together ever since. We still enjoy gaming together, but I also love playing games on my Windows phone, particularly Microsoft Bingo. I also play Wordament, Snap Attack and Brain Challenge among a bazillion other games. I really love puzzle games as well as games where you build your own city.