A Typical Day in the Home of Daughter of Maat

Greg – “Did you take my Lancer?”

Sam – “No, I just took my scorcher.”

A couple minutes later…

Greg – “You did take my Lancer!”

Sam – “No I didn’t!”

Greg – “Was there a Lancer over there on the ground, and you picked it up?”

Sam – “uh…um… ye…NO!….”

Greg – “That was my Lancer!”

Me – “Now THERE’S a conversation you don’t hear every day in most homes!”

Just a Normal DayJust a Little Friendly Parent Child Rivalry

This is just a typical conversation in our home. Normally, you can hear the clackity-clack of me typing away on the computer hard at work, and the sound of guns, reloads and screams coming from the TV because Greg and Sam are playing either Gears of War 3 or Modern Warfare 3.

Now don’t get your panties in a bunch because I let my daughter play video games, let alone Gears of War 3.

Sam is an extremely brilliant little girl. In fact, I think she has a higher IQ than I do. Plus, she’s grown up with video games. Mommy and Daddy play them all the time. They’re no big deal to her. It’s literally just a game.

I know what you’re thinking, “But their so violent!”

But are they really any worse than what’s on TV these days?Sam and Greg Playing Gears of War 3

In Gears of War 3, you can change the settings so that when you shoot someone, flowers come out instead of blood. Obviously, this is not real. Flowers don’t spill out when you shoot someone in real life. To me, that just makes it EASIER for the player to know without a doubt, it’s not real. Does Hollywood do that? NO!

But  more importantly, video games offer an excellent teaching opportunity, regardless of the game. In campaign mode, everything the characters say is closed captioned on the screen, and the majority of the levels are huge puzzles that make you find a solution to a problem to progress to the next level.

Plus there’s the visual aspect. There are a number of studies that have been done on how video games improve the abilities of the visual cortex.

Because there is so much happening on screen, the player has to be able to almost instantaneously find and prioritize the nearest threat and all subsequent threats. There is plenty of evidence that supports that gamers are much more capable of enhanced visuo-spatial attention then those who do not game. This also increases their observation skills.

Sam notices things I don’t, and I’m as observant as House, MD (I’m not being arrogant, that’s just what I’ve been told).

But we also homeschool, so don’t think video games are her only education. But when mommy needs to get some writing done in order to pay the electric bill, it’s a nice little reward for her, and she loves playing with daddy.

The Family that Games Together, Stays Together.

All three of us game together and Sam just loves the family time!

Ten minutes later…

Sam – “Where’d you go?”

Greg – “I left ‘cuz you took my Lancer!”

15 comments

1. Janine Huldie says:

Mine kids are still too young, but they watch a ton of Mickey Mouse when I am writing lol!! And Kevin is a huge gamer so it is just a matter of time before one or both want to see it is all about!!

• Daughter of Maat says:

Sam started playing video games at 3, although obviously not Gears of War. She was playing a game that helped her learn her ABCs, numbers, shapes and colors. It was really cute too, a little ship that you drive around picking up letters, numbers etc. I didn’t let her start playing real video games (for lack of a better term) until just recently, and mainly because she kept bugging me to play with daddy lol.

2. Emily says:

Your post makes me feel so much better because my kids play video games. One of my kids in particular would play all day if we let him so we have to put limits on their gaming time. I agree there is some merit to video games in terms of problem-solving, eye-hand coordination, etc. In fact, one of my son’s teachers used video games in a teaching exercise once! Great post!

• Daughter of Maat says:

Sam would play all day too if we let her. First person shooters I think have more merit for enhancing visuo-spatial attention. Games like Skyrim, and Fable (which my daughter loves) are wonderful for problem solving skills, and even math and reading. Plus they learn by experience which means they learn practical applications of the subject, not just the theory. :D

3. Amber says:

My son isn’t even 2 yet but every time daddy starts playing a game or gets on the computer he wants to sit in his lap and “help” him. I know it’s only a matter of time before they start playing together. My son loves to play games on ABCMouse.com and it is already helping him with his hand eye coordination, especially while trying to use the mouse.

Just found your blog through the Raising Imperfection hop and started following! Thanks for the laugh :)

• Daughter of Maat says:

Sam did the very same thing when she was that age!! Before my hubby got rid of desktop PC, he let Sam use it all the time, and it really did make a huge difference in her hand-eye coordination. Now with the xbox, not only does she have the learning games, but the fast-paced shooters teach her to be more aware of her sourroundins and to do so quickly. I’ve really noticed some changes in her observation skills!

Thanks for stopping by, so glad you joined the linky party! I’m going to check out your blog, the title is just too good to pass up!! :)

Whatcha Thinkin?